The Office of International Programs (OIP) advocates, supports, and advances the university's goals for international education and engagement. It works closely with faculty, staff, and students in implementing internationalization initiatives that enrich global understanding. It is responsible for the coordination and administration of international education programs as well as cultivating and sustaining the university’s global affiliations, linkages, and strategic partnerships with institutions of higher education for a wide range of learning opportunities to fulfill the university’s mission.
Definition of Internationalization:
"The intentional process of integrating an international, intercultural or global dimension into the purpose, functions and delivery of post-secondary education, in order to enhance the quality of education and research for all students and staff, and to make a meaningful contribution to society.”
De Wit, Hans (2015) The International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE) conference, Chicago, U.S.A.
AUI’s approach to internationalization is an organic one in that by design each and every academic and administrative entity has its own and shared role to play in this ongoing process. The Office of International Programs (OIP) provides collaborative support for initiatives and projects aligned with this definition by linking and integrating new and existing resources and connections supportive of a comprehensive infrastructure for international education and enhanced intercultural engagement at AUI.
To that end, the OIP
• Advises AUI undergraduate and graduate students interested in studying abroad and administers programs collaborating with over 400 institutions in more than 50 countries;
• Works closely with the University’s Leadership, Schools, and Centers to develop and expand programs and relationships with new or established academic partner institutions abroad;
• Supports AUI’s administrative units’ internationalization of policies, procedures, and practices;
• Coordinates services for short-term visiting students, scholars, and researchers at AUI;
• Administers special scholarships and opportunities for faculty, staff, and students that promote and share the benefit of international experience and intercultural engagement.