- Assistant Professor
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Status: Full-time
- Office number : 9
- Building : 6
- Office phone : (212) 535 86 24 64
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website : https://aui.academia.edu/PaulLove
- Degree : PhD (2016), Arabic and Islamic Studies (Near Eastern Studies), University of Michigan—Ann Arbor (USA)
- Research areas and expertise : My primary research interests revolve around the history of Ibadi Muslim communities in northern Africa and the Sahara. More broadly, I am interested in the Arabic manuscript tradition in the Maghrib, codicology and manuscript studies, the history of collecting and private libraries, print and publication history, and intellectual networks. I’d be interested in working with undergraduate students (Capstone) and MA students with projects in Maghribi history, Islamic studies, books and manuscripts, print technology, and colonialism.
- Currently teaching : History of the Arab World | Introduction to the study of Islamic Civilization | History of the 20th century | Modern Algeria | Modern Algeria (Graduate Seminar)
I am originally from beautiful Nashville, Tennessee in the United States, where I began my university career studying radio and communications with a plan to enter the music industry. An inspirational history professor at a community college led me to change my major to history and I went on to study history and religious studies at the Honors College at Western Kentucky University. At the end of my undergraduate career, I developed an interest in Arabic that shaped the next decade of my life. After graduating, I travelled, worked, or studied in Tunisia, Yemen, Egypt, Oman, Syria, Turkey, Lebanon, and Morocco before returning to academia and beginning my PhD at the University of Michigan. I then had the amazing opportunity to carry out thesis-related fieldwork in Tunisia, Algeria, Ukraine, Poland, Italy, and France. I arrived at AUI in the fall of 2016, accompanied by my wife Sarah, my daughter Sophia, and my cat Hannibal.
Book reviews: https://aui.academia.edu/PaulLove