All official Al Akhawayn policies and major policy reviews are initiated by academic or administrative units under the authority of the unit head, or directly by the Academic Council. In the development process, policy proposals undergo an initial review at the University executive level. They are then forwarded to the appropriate Policy Advisory Group (PAG) such as the Academic Council or the Administrative Advisory Council to complete the development process and make recommendations to the President, who decides whether or not to promulgate the policy.
Policies developed or reviewed by the Academic Council must adhere to the procedure outlined in the “Policy 20150303 Addendum to the Academic Council By-Laws” (see below). The process of obtaining stakeholder feedback described in sub-section 3.4 of this Addendum must be undertaken under the authority of the Dean or the Director of the relevant unit.
Policies developed by advisory groups other than the Academic Council must adhere to the following procedure which is based on the Academic Council procedure and depicted in the flowchart below:
- The policy initiating committee must use the template, format, and numbering provided for policy development when preparing a new policy.
- The Chair of the initiating committee must submit a first draft of the suggested policy to the PAG Chair at least 10 working days prior to the next PAG meeting. This draft should include a brief overview of the principles underpinning the suggested policy.
- Input received from PAG members during the PAG meeting is used to revise the policy draft.
- The revised policy draft should then be circulated among various stakeholders under the authority of Unit Heads, who are responsible for communicating any feedback to the Chair of the initiating committee within 15 working days after they receive the revised policy draft.
- In light of the feedback received from stakeholders, a third policy draft is prepared by the Chair of the initiating committee.
- The third policy draft is reviewed by the initiating committee for legal terms (if applicable) and consistency with other AUI policies and practices, using the appropriate University resources as needed.
- The final policy draft is then communicated by the Chair of the initiating committee to the PAG Chair, at least 10 working days prior to the next PAG meeting.
- The final policy draft is then presented to the next PAG meeting for approval.
- Prior to the meeting, the PAG Chair may suggest new revisions to the final policy draft in coordination with the appropriate Vice President. However, PAG meeting members should receive a copy of the final policy draft at least 5 working days prior to the meeting.
- Policies approved by the PAG must be submitted by the PAG Chair to the President’s Office for validation and promulgation. In the case of policies approved with further minor recommendations, the PAG Chair must include the required revisions before submitting the policies in question to the President's Office.
- In the case of major revisions, the Chair of the Committee must revise the policy draft and follow steps 6 through 9 as detailed above.
- Policies approved, validated, and promulgated must be communicated by the appropriate Vice President to the other Vice Presidents and relevant AUI Units within 15 working days following their promulgation by the President's Office. These policies must also be communicated to the relevant AUI community members through the University intranet.